A tick on the list


Over the last couple of days I have been using up some of my stash to do some experimenting.

Here are the items I made, ignore the coloured threads on the scarf, they were a part of the experiment that went wrong.

One loosely crocheted scarf in 2 shades of Rowan Cork, and a few little flowers, also in Rowan Cork.

I wanted to use the Rowan wool, as it is 95% merino and I have been dieing to see how it felts up. Actually I have been dieing to see how anything not bought from a Charity shop felts up, as that is all I have experimented on so far. I think the fear of messing up something it took ages to create was too big for me. Anyway I lost my fear this weekend, and just went for it.

The results were actually better than I had expected.

This is how the scarf turned out. It felted up really well and is beautifully soft now.

I have enough left to make a bag, which I think I will hand knit on 8mm needles, as that was the hook size used for these, and see how that turns out.


Even better than the scarf was the flowers.

I loved these before the felting, but was really chuffed with them afterwards. I made 2 sizes of petals, one with double trebles and 4 chains (trebles for US) and one with treble trebles and 5 chains (double trebles for US).

After the felting you can still see the texture of the stitches but the flowers themselves are really soft and look almost cloud-like. Not sure if that is due to the shading in the yarn or not as although the colour looks like pale lilac there is some darker purple in there too.

So, as we are going away for 2 nights in the caravan tomorrow and there is no TV, I am taking my knitting and crochet and plan to make some more of these Lilac Rowan flowers, but bigger with more petal layers, and knit a chunky bag with the Brown Rowan I have left......oh and the wee man wants a pair of red and white stripey socks to wear with his wellies. They will definiately take a bit longer than 2 nights though. I am still getting the hang of knitting in the round.

Note to self...

Better finish the girls jacket in bed tonight, just half a sleeve and the hood to go.

Here is a pic of the work in progress this afternoon, loving the colours, smokey grey and pale blue. Now the wool has been crocheted up it is looking really cosy, and this pattern is so easy.

Made it up myself so it can't be that difficult ;0)

Won't be able to keep you up to date while we are away in Berwick, but promise to have some photos of the hols and any work I get done on Wednesday when we get back.

Comments

Debbie said…
I think your scarf turned out great. and lol about the sepia, I need to do that too
craftyjan said…
lovely pictures i miss my caravan and my family holidays you cant beat them

Popular Posts