You can teach an old dog new tricks

So it was Friday night, I had been crocheting all week, on a small hook with cotton.....quite hard on the wrists. The Pizza had arrived and been well eaten and I was looking for something to do. Now for Christmas Santa bought me a selection of crafting books, one of which, "Fitted Knits" had been egging me on to open it and study it for a few weeks. I liked the idea of putting some simple shaping into my creations and also fancied giving this top down knitting malarkie a go.

So out came the book, I rummaged through the stash looking for some nice chunky yarn that would give me some quick results, as a reaction to the small hook crochet. I took out my shiny new circular needles and off I went.

Now one of the things that sets me apart form many a "professional" knitter is the way I hold both my yarn and needles. I was taught to knit with the right pin under my arm, and as a result I take my hand off the needle completely when wrapping the yarn around. I have managed to train myself to knit stitches and keep my hand on the needle, which means I can knit in the round for socks and guddle my way through the ribbing.....but knitting a jacket back and forth in stocking stitch on circulars proved too much for me.....especially with the multiple stitch markers required for the increases.

After the third attempt I decided to do it my own way. I took out my long 10mm faithfuls, concentrated hard for the first 2 rows to set the increases and then basically did my own thing!

I knitted, and tried it on, then I knitted some more and tried it on again. I managed to put the pins down at about midnight and once I had done the housework on Saturday morning I was off and running again.


What did I produce.....this little number. As you can see I still have the sleeves and Button Band/Collar to knit but basically I did this in about 5 hours...not bad eh? On bog standard straight pins.

I added a peplum (frill) at the botton which uses the same technique as the increases on the shoulders to produce the upper arms and will do the same at the wrists, I think I will also add on a wide collar with the frill too.

To say I was chuffed would be an understatement. I am all ready to go topdown again once this is finished....and I didn't have to re-learn how to purl......bargain!!!

Comments

Jane said…
Hi, found the blog through your post on the craft forum. The knitting looks good to me, I'll be back to look at the finished product.

Popular Posts